Middle School Course Objectives
1. Students will explore and understand the framework of the Nebraska Career Education (NCE) model.
- 1.1. Students will be able to differentiate between career fields, clusters, and pathways on the NCE model.
- 1.2. Students will be able to identify compositions of career clusters and the relationship to the career field.
- 1.3. Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between coursework, school activities, community activities and career clusters.
2. Students will understand the Foundation Knowledge and Skills and how they apply to each cluster and to educational and career success.
- 2.1. Students will be able to make connections between personal strengths/interests and [work] careers.
- 2.2. Students will be able to define, identify and demonstrate the Foundation Knowledge and Skills
- 2.3. Students will be able to evaluate their own Foundation Knowledge and Skills in relationship to their goals for learning, earning and living
- 2.4. Students will be able to describe extended learning opportunities that will help build their Foundation Knowledge and Skills
3. Students will express the purpose of, develop and use components of the Personal Learning Plan (PLP).
- 3.1. Students will be able to understand the purpose of a Personal Learning Plan.
- 3.2. Students will be able to use information gathered from the career field/cluster model, foundation knowledge and skills, career exploration, and goal setting to develop a PLP.
- 3.3. Students will be able to consult with parents/guardians and other caring adults on a regular basis to review progress in meeting goals and make necessary changes.
- 3.4. Students will be able to follow the Personal Learning Plan when registering for classes.
4. Students will participate in Career Exploration activities.
- 4.1. Students will be able to list and understand a variety of extended school-based and community-based learning options to explore careers.
- 4.2. Students will be able to participate in a career exploration activity involving a professional contact.
5. Students will access and utilize different types of Career Information.
- 5.1. Students will be able to utilize technology to access career information.
- 5.2. Students will be able to utilize printed material to access career information.
- 5.3. Students will be able to talk to people to access career resources.
6. Students will recognize the variety of Postsecondary Options available.
- 6.1. Identify, compare and contrast postsecondary education options (cost, prerequisites, time required).
- 6.2. Identify postsecondary options in relationship to the career clusters.