Safe with You Training
Safe With You is a training curriculum for child care providers to meet the requirements of the Nebraska State Statute 43-2606. This bill requires licensed child care providers to complete training that "shall be designed to meet the health, safety, and developmental needs of children…and shall include information on sudden infant death syndrome, shaken baby syndrome and child abuse and neglect." The Nebraska Department of Education Early Childhood Training Center (ECTC) has developed these workshops in collaboration with the Department of Health and Human Services. There are three modules to the training.
Nothin' But Baby – Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
(1 hour training module)
There are ways to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). As a result of this workshop, child care providers will:
- Define Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Discuss how research and statistics change the way we do things
- Develop prevention strategies and identify information to share with parents
- Develop a sleep policy and create a plan
- Nothin' But Baby Power Point
Never Shake a Baby – Preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome
(1 hour training module)
When a baby is shaken, the shaking can cause brain damage, life changing disabilities, and even death. This is a childhood injury that is preventable. As a result of this workshop, child care providers will:
- Define Shaken Baby Syndrome
- Understand the consequences of shaking a baby
- List different reasons a baby may be crying
- Create a personal plan
- Never Shake a Baby Power Point
Power to Protect: Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect
(2 hour training module)
Child care providers need to know about child abuse and neglect, how to make a report, ways to strengthen families, and how to prevent child abuse in their own child care program. As a result of this workshop, child care providers will:
- Define child abuse and neglect
- Identify the physical characteristics of child abuse and neglect
- Explore cultural issues
- Know when and how to report
- Identify ways to reduce the risk
- Power to Protect Power Point
- Power to Protect - School Age Power Point
Specific training dates and times can be found on the statewide training calendar at http://ectccalendar.education.ne.gov.
If you would like more information about training in your area contact your local Early Learning Connection Coordinator.
For additional information, contact the NDE Early Childhood Training Center at 1-800-89-CHILD.