Read for Joy Workshops
Read for Joy workshops are sponsored by the Nebraska Department of Education.
The Awareness Workshop (60-90 minutes)
Audience: Parents and/or personnel from schools, local libraries, early childhood/parent education programs and other adults involved in children's literacy learning
Description: This Read for Joy Awareness Workshop will provide information about the goals and activities of the project. Participants can receive a copy of the Read for Joy booklet in either English or Spanish and will learn how they can book an all day workshop in their communities.
Questions addressed in the awareness workshop
- What is the Read for Joy Project?
- What are some basic learning conditions we can provide both at school and at home?
- Why is reading with children so important?
- How do I schedule a Read for Joy Workshop in my community?
The One-Day Application Workshop (7 hours)
Audience: Parents and/or personnel from schools, local libraries, early childhood/parent education programs, and other adults involved in children's literacy learning
The Read for Joy Workshop assists participants in understanding how children learn to read and specific strategies teachers and parents use to support learning. Participants in the application workshop will learn about:
- how the child's brain develops
- seven conditions which lead to engaged learning
- characteristics of home and school environments that produce effective readers
- strategies for using literature effectively with children at home or at school
- community partnerships which support family literacy
In addition, participants will receive a copy of the Read for Joy booklet in either English or Spanish and an annotated bibliography of media center early literacy resources available from the Early Childhood Training Center.