Child Line: 1-800-89-CHILD
What is the Child Line?
The Child Line is a statewide toll free telephone resource for those working with young children and their families.
Who may call the Child Line?
Any person in Nebraska interested in issues that affect young children and their families may call. This could include someone in any of these positions:
- Family Child Care Providers
- Head Start Staff
- Professors and Trainers
- Community and Business Leaders
- Public and Private School Educators
- Community Coalitions
- Parents looking for child care
- Child Care Providers in Center Settings
- Students Studying About Young Children and Families
- Health and Human Services Professionals
- Home Visitors and Parent Educators
- Training Organizations
- Prospective Child Care Providers
Why would I call the Child Line?
The Child Line provides information, resources, and support concerning early childhood care and education. You might call for answers to your questions about:
- information on a local conference or training in your area
- funding information
- help with a challenging situation in your early childhood program
- media materials for in-service hours
- information on starting a child care program
- licensing information
- child care resource and referral
- any other issue affecting young children and families
Where is the Child Line located?
The Child Line is located at the Early Childhood Training Center, 6949 S. 110th Street, Omaha, NE 68128-5722, one block south of Harrison Street, in the Educational Service Unit #3 building.
When can I call the Child Line?
The Child Line can be reached Monday-Friday, 8 am-5pm Central Time, by calling 1-800-89-CHILD (1-800-892-4453) outside the Omaha area, or 402-557-6889 in the Omaha area. You are always welcome to visit the Early Childhood Training Center during business hours, or leave a message after hours.
What does it cost to call the Child Line?
There is no fee or charge to use the Child Line. Resources and media materials are mailed to callers at no cost. The only cost would involve mailing or bringing back media materials that might have been checked out from the Early Childhood Training Center's Media Center.
Why is there a Child Line?
The Child Line was created through Nebraska Legislation 836, to provide training information and assistance. The Child Line became fully operational on September 1, 1992.
For more information...
For more information, contact Jessica La Chere at the Early Childhood Training Center, 1-800-89-CHILD (1-800-892-4453), or in Omaha call 402-557-6889.
For child care resource and referral, call Dena Johnson at 1-800-89-CHILD (1-800-892-4453) or in Omaha call 402-557-6886.