Examining Public Perceptions of Career and Technical Education in Nebraska - Survey of General Public (July 2010)
This report presents the findings of the survey: "Examining Public Perceptions of Career and Technical Education (CTE) in Nebraska." In Nebraska, CTE is also commonly referred to as "Career Education," but for the purposes of this report, the term "CTE" will be used. There are six subject areas that fall under the umbrella of CTE: 1) Agricultural Education (Environmental and Agricultural Systems); 2) Business and/or Marketing (Business Marketing and Management); 3) Computer Education/Information Technology; 4) Family and Consumer Sciences (Human Services); 5) Health Science; and 6) Industrial Technology (Industrial Manufacturing and Engineering Systems).
The purpose of the survey is to inform possible revisions to CTE standards in Nebraska. Thus, the results herein provide a snapshot of public perceptions of CTE among a randomly selected portion of the public in Nebraska. This survey was conducted during March, April and May, 2010. Both landline and cell phone users were surveyed. Of the 535 respondents, 447 (84%) were landline users, while the other 88 (16%) were cell phone users. The response rate for landline users was 33.9% and was 17.7% for cell phone users. The margin of error for this study is 4.23%. The mean age for the entire sample was 55; the mean age for landline users was 57 and the mean age for cell phone users was 44. Respondents were primarily female (59%) and white (95%). Respondents were roughly evenly split between rural (52%) and urban (48%) areas of the state; urban areas were defined as Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties, and rural areas were defined as any other county. Finally, 29% of respondents indicated that they had children in school in Nebraska. Where possible, researchers worded questions to allow for comparisons to responses to a similar survey that was administered to Nebraska educators in late 2009; these comparisons are included within this report.