Creating the Profile
- What does research say about effective family and community engagement?
- Why is it important to engage all families and community in support of education?
- The National PTA has developed standards for family involvement. How is your school currently performing with families and communities in reference to these standards?
Reaching Out to Diverse Populations
Getting Parents “Ready” for Kindergarten: The Role of Early Childhood Education
The Transition to Kindergarten: A Review of Current Research and Promising Practices to Involve Families http://www.gse.harvard.edu/hfrp/projects
- What current practices of the school reflect effective collaboration among families and community?
- Do teachers, family, and community share common expectations regarding support for families? (example: building trusting relationships, linking families and community to school, developing leadership among family and community members).
Focus on Families! How to Build and Support Family-Centered Practices in After School
Concepts and Models of Family Involvement
Seeing is Believing: Promising Practices for How School Districts Promote Family Engagement
Helen Westmoreland, Heidi M. Rosenberg, M. Elena Lopez, Heather Weiss
Our findings point to three core components of these successful systems: creating district-wide strategies, building school capacity, and reaching out to and engaging families.
Voices from the Field: How Can Elementary Teachers Collaborate More Effectively with Parents to Support Literacy Learning?
Carol St. George, EdD
Rather than teachers holding workshops for parents, the parents and teachers in the Collegial Circle engaged in readings and discussions together, thus creating a new paradigm for parent workshops.
- Have surveys and interviews of families, staff, and community been conducted?
- Were the survey responses representative?
- What types of services are being provided to support families?
- In school?
- In community?
- The following are some specific questions to be considered for analysis.
- What is known about your FAMILIES?
- % working
- % single parents
- % grandparents or other
- % children & families living in poverty
- % cultural, ethnic, racial, linguistic diversity
- % mobility or homeless
- What is known about your COMMUNITY(IES)?
- Economic factors (% agricultural, % professional, % industrial/technical, climate)
- Social foundation (service clubs, community organizations)
- Human services
- Inventory of community strengths/needs
- What is known about your FAMILIES?
Parent Engagement Electronic Tool Kit
Setting the Goals
- What are the unique strengths of the community that influence student success?
- What are the target areas for the school’s overall improvement goals and how can collaboration with families and community support those goals?
- How can you address student needs through family and community collaboration?
- What steps might be taken to prioritize the student needs?
Transforming Schools Through Community Organization: A Research Review
Planning to Improve
- What types of professional development and outreach would foster collaboration among school staff, families, and community members?
- To improve communication?
- To increase families’ role in student learning (i.e., develop meaningful family-friendly, homework assignments)?
Ideas for Teacher Preparation in Family Involvement
www.hfrp.org/family-involvement/publications-resources (click on teacher preparation and professional development)
- Based on your goal, who is responsible for each strategy?
- When will it happen?
- What methods or measures will help guide your activities and track progress?
- Do you have what you need to complete your work? (human resources, materials, technology)
- How will you address the gaps in resources? (think innovatively and creatively, tap new ideas and resources)
Implementing the Plan
- Did you record baselines?
- How are progress and process toward family and community engagement documented?
- How is progress shown or measured?
- Which activities and strategies for family and community engagement worked well?
- What unexpected outcomes occurred?
- What adjustments or improvements need to be made to move forward and achieve goals?
- As a result of this information, what are the next steps to take in the plan?